Indians account for the second largest group of international students in the US

May 09, 2014

Indians account for the second largest group of international students in the US

Indians are recognized as the second largest number of international students in US as per the latest survey of United States Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE). At present, a total number of 113,813 Indian students are registered in many US universities and educational institutions. From this count, three-fourth of Indian students are enrolled in STEM course (science, technology, engineering and Maths) i.e. 78 percent of Indian students.

China is at the top of the report with an overall count of 290,133 students registered in the various universities of US. SEVIS (Student and Exchange Visitor Information System) reported that over 37 percent of china’s students are registered in STEM courses. SEVIS is a web based system that incorporates the information concerned with exchange visitors and their dependents, international students etc. and this report contains statistics applicable till April 1 this year. Now, there are 1,015,178 students studying in US and the count of J-1 exchange visitors is 188,382 and along with the dependents, the count is 2,102,565.

The report stated that over 29 percent of international students (F and M category) are from china and a total of 56 percent of international students are males. It also stated that over 351,397 international students are enrolled for STEM and among them, Asia counts for 85 percent and 43 percent are in engineering.

SEVP, being a part of National Security Investigations Division, is a program in US Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) and acts as mediator between government organizations which has interest in finding information pertained to non-immigrants who are coming to US for study. As per its study, there is an eight percent increase in enrollment of Indian students since 1 January. India, being at the second place, is followed by South Korea with a figure of 91,583 and Saudi Arabia has a count of 72,223.

The report revealed that there is an increase in the number of students studying in the US when compared with January statistics i.e. around eight percent of Indian students and 10 percent of Saudi Arabia students are studying in US. From India, over 78 percent of International students are in the STEM field and only eight percent of Japanese students are in the STEM field.

comments powered by Disqus


Hi! How can we help you?

Click below button to start chat

Chat Icon
chat icon