Vulnerable Women Locked In UK's Jail

November 01, 2017

In a shocking research it was found that the United Kingdom locks women who are going through trauma after sexual violence. They are locked in the notorious Yarl’s Wood immigration detention centre. The UK government is clearly breaching its own policies. The research was carried by a charity called Women for Refugee Women.

UK introduced a new policy called - adults at risk policy. According to the policy, women who have experienced gender or sexual violence and are harmed by detention wouldn’t be kept in jail.

Women for Refugee Women interviewed around 26 women who are detained in Yarl’s Wood immigration detention centre after the policy came into force. Out of them, 22 were a victim of sexual or gender-based violence. 23 of them were detained for more than a month. All of the 26 said that were depressed as they were detained in the centre. 13 women wanted to kill themselves and two of them had tried committing suicide.

women jail

1,500 women locked up every year

Around 1,500 immigrant women seeking shelter are locked up in a detention shelter every year in the UK. They are detained for an infinite period and themselves don’t know when they will be released. A woman (chose not to be named) is detained despite telling the officials that her husband forced her into prostitution. After finding out, the officials agreed the case but she is still in the centre. The woman hails from Nigeria. She is detention for more than six months.

Yarl’s Wood detention centre is inhumane, unnecessary and inefficient. In 2016, only 15 percent were left free from the centre. The remaining 85 percent were left in a community to fight for their claims.

Natasha Walter, founder, Women for Refugee Women, said that a fair asylum should be built where everyone is heard.

comments powered by Disqus


Hi! How can we help you?

Click below button to start chat

Chat Icon
chat icon